Friday, July 18, 2008

4H Fair ~ #1

Friday the 4H Fair opened. It is the 2nd largest county fair in the country and bigger than most of the State Fairs too. We thought we would just run by for a little bit because the kids wanted to see how they did on their projects. We also knew that Amy, Jeff and the girls are coming out on Sunday and will spend a few days here so there will be lots more trips to the fair. Well, the "little bit" turned into almost 4 hours! They just "had to" do this real quick...or "have to" do that and "we don't care if we see this again next week!" We got back around 4pm and then Tony and I went back at 6pm for the Credit Union's summer picnic. The kids were each invited to River Oaks Church's "Kids Blitz" evening so they went to that.
So how did they do on their projects? Madison got a blue ribbon on her blanket, blue and "special recognition" on her poster and a blue and an honor ribbon on her cake. An honor ribbon means that her cake was in the group that they considered for the grand champion. She was happy with that. The "special recognition" yellow ribbon means that it was included in the exhibit as part of the general health focus for the fair. Quinn got a blue on his model and a "special recognition" and red on his First Aid Kit. I was trying to figure the red ribbon out (2nd place). They made the kits at their 4H club meeting, together as a club. I never even read the requirements. I guess I should have read them at home too! He didn't care though. He said
"this is the best fair ever!" because of all of the airplane models that were submitted. He was in airplane heaven looking at all of them.
The pictures above are of visiting the obvious animals and then they were looking at some stuffed animals (there must be a formal name for them) that are native to Indiana.
Well, that was the first trip to the fair. I assure you there will be more!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Congratulations to Madison and Quinn on their ribbons! Can't wait to see their exhibits on Wednesday.