Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving everyone! We have so many things to be thankful for. It literally gives me a lump in my throat when I think of God's care, protection and bounty that he has blessed us with. So many times I am quick to think, "life isn't fair" when things don't go my way. I realize this year that life isn't fair again... but this time because I feel I'm more blessed than some others. I just give my overwhelmed feelings of thanks and gratitude to my Father for all of the good things in my life.

We live in the # 1 economically hardest hit county in the entire nation and I think that has made us feel all the more thankful for God's blessings at this time of year. I work with people every day who have been directly affected by the down turn of the RV industry. So many people have lost their jobs or have had their hours significantly cut at their work. Especially hard hit are the husband/wife pairs that both worked in the RV industry, both needing jobs now. I see this every day with the patients I care for. While our jobs aren't perfect, Tony and I feel especially thankful for them and for the steady income right now. I read in the newspaper today that the Salvation Army has already noticed a 20% decrease in those able to help with donations compared to last year and yet have had a 30% increase in those asking for help so far. I wonder how "desperate" a family has to be before they actually reach out and ask for help? My guess is that help is a hard thing to ask for.

We celebrated our Thanksgiving day at Beppe & Pakka's house today. We were happy that Matt & Lisa and their 3 boys joined us as well as our friend Darren from church. We were there from noon until about 8:30 last night. We ate way too much delicious food, browsed the sale ads for the next day and played games. The day went really fast. It was a beautiful sunny day in the 40's and just a good day to relax and enjoy being together.


3 comments:

Addi said...

What a great pic of Quinn holding that plate and the steam just rising off of it!

Anonymous said...

We played the card game that I see in your pics, a lonngggg time ago and I have always wondered what it was and what it was called. I remembered I thought it was a lot of fun. Now, you can teach me ( us)! Looks like you had a very nice time and yes, it was beautiful weather. Sure pray its beautiful 3 weeks from today !!
Quinn looks so miserable. Sure hope you feel better tomorrow , buddy !

Cheryl said...

so glad that we do have jobs with the downturn of the RV industry. It could well be mobile homes and as you know I have had that problem in the past. Cool pics and you guys look funny holding a card to your heads. And you think southern Illinois has odd ideas? ha ha