Wednesday, December 05, 2007

"White Christmas" at Amish Acres



This was quite a different Wednesday for us, and a great one at that! School started off with a 2 hour delay due to snow. My guess is that we got 3-4 inches last night. I took a vacation day today because Quinn and I were planning on going to Amish Acres to see the play White Christmas with his class so the 2 hour delay worked OK for us. The kids were outside playing in it and shoveling off the driveway first thing this morning.

The field trip got off to a late start but it still was a great time. We saw an abbreviated version of White Christmas... about an hour long. I would love to see the whole thing. Quinn and I enjoyed it very much. We have really been looking forward to going for several weeks now. He told me on the bus ride there that he really didn't care about the field trip... what he was most happy about was that I got to go with him and that he was looking forward to wrapping our arms together during the play and that he could lay his head down on my shoulder during it. I told him some day he would be bringing a girlfriend to the play and they would be holding hands. He gave me a grossed out look and said "Ewwww!" For now, Mom works. : )

After the play the actors/actresses introduced themselves, said where they were from and entertained questions. Of course nearly every child had his hand raised for a question. Quinn didn't get called on but he wanted to ask the actor from Davenport, IA if he was a hawkeye fan... that would have fit right in there with some of the other questions we heard such as "What is your favorite food?" and "How do you do all of this any way?" We'll just have to assume any good Iowan is a hawkeye fan. ha!
After that we enjoyed a family style dinner of chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade bread with apple butter and cookies for dessert. Yum! The place was a buzz with multiple schools there for a sold-out show.
Leading up to the field trip were lessons about etiquette for fine arts performances as well as eating out. The boys were instructed to pull out chairs for the girls/ladies. The picture in the bottom right hand corner in the collage is of Quinn trying to scoot my chair in for me. I had to explain that the ladies actually do the scooting part themselves. The picture at the 6 o'clock position is of Quinn, Nate, their teacher Mrs. Heyse, and good friend Benjamin. The boys looked quite sharp!
So after surviving the ride back in the very last seat on the bus, the field trip was all too quickly over. It was well organized and went smoothly. Days at work go fast... but not this fast!
PS... my Christmas sweater is a bit "loud" for me but Quinn gave it to me for Christmas last year. He remembered it this morning and said it "looks really nice on you!" : )

2 comments:

Addi said...

Leah - what a sweetie!! I love it! This has been my favorite post of yours!!! :) Glad you had a wonderful day off!

Amy said...

I am so glad that you had a wonderful time on the much anticipated Christmas outing. I am still amazed at how your name was "miraculously" chosen out of all the mom volunteers to go. Amazing!! Can I adopt Quinn? :)